Saturday, August 8, 2009

interim visit home

This is it! The week between. Cape May was lovely as always, but did feel a little rushed, and our accommodations were unusual for what we are used to. We stayed at a lovely little B&B, Highland House, which is off the beaten path, but is run by a very spunky South Philly Italian grandma, and was very comfortable, as well as being dog-friendly. For all of the dogs that stay there, the place was clean, didn't smell like dog, and didn't feel sterile, like many pet-friendly places do. In fact, our room had many fine collectibles in it, one of which did not survive, but at the hands (or paws?) not of the dogs, but of a human guest.

Anyway, it was difficult to balance our distant location with dogs and the in-town activities and local accommodations of the rest of the family, but we managed to do it. One night, we took a ghost trolley tour. Fortunately, I didn't mention this to our Highland House hostess until we were ready to check out, because she told me that their house is in one of the books written by the official Cape May ghost hunter! On the way out of town, we stopped at a somewhat damp and drizzly Sunset Beach to let Molly have a swim, and to test Wilbur's passion for the water (umm---) and while there, I saw the Cape May ghost books in the gift shop. Sure enough, there was Highland House, in Volume 3.

OK, so now that I had seen that documentation, I started thinking about the things that happened during our stay. First of all, Wilbur initially refused to enter our rooms. The two rooms we had booked, the Burgundy Room (ours) and the Blue Room (the kids') are connected by way of a small hallway that also houses a shared bath. Wilbur balked at the door to the hallway. Stood his ground and braced himself, leaning back against his little legs. So he had to be lifted and brought into the room. I assumed it was just the many doors that threw him off. Or was it???

So we set up the dogs in the Burgundy Room, Wilbur's crate against the wall, and Molly's blanket in the corner next to it. They seemed to settle in well. The first morning we were there, at breakfast, I was sure I heard one of the kids up and walking around, but when I went up, they were both sound asleep. The next morning, it happened but it sounded like Molly, nails clicking against the floor and all. I went up and again, she was sound asleep.

But the strangest thing that happened was on the second of our three nights, when, at 4:50AM, Wilbur suddenly let out two sharp and alarming yelps. Kevin took him outside, and he peed and came back in. I took him on the bed with me and checked him out and he seemed well enough. After this, he went back in his crate and carried on as usual. What did he see? What did he feel? =:-O! Harrowing! (Kevin's theory is that he was bitten by a flea...(?) )

So you may be wondering what the book said about the ghosts of Highland House. Well, the main things to point out are that the Burgundy Room was specifically mentioned as the "room with a boo." The Blue Room was also featured, one of the beds displayed photographically to illustrate the room which the former tenant refused to enter! And apparently, ghosts gather there. Not just one, but many. I am so glad I didn't hear this until we were done sleeping there! Of course, we had a very nice time there and would love to go back. I'm just not sure if I would want to sleep in a different room the next time! But at any rate, the ghosts didn't try to run us out. They allowed us to co-exist, aside from Wilbur's little intercession! Molly didn't seem to mind the ethereal presences one bit.

Anyway, in other news, it is time to prepare for the next adventure, to London! I have been poring through websites and tour books, and trying to track the weather through the ten day forecast. So far, the first three days look good! I went ahead and booked us on a London Duck tour for Monday the 17th, because several of the times were filled already! I love the duck tours and was disappointed that we weren't able to get on one in Washington DC last July. I would also like to ride the Boston Ducks, which I hope to do if I get to take Megan up to Boston in November to do a couple of college tours. Although her physical therapy interest has waned, based on her experience at the hospital PT ward :-)

Otherwise, we are all settling back in pretty well. My throat has been sore for a week now, but Brian has stopped complaining of swallowing issues, and he cleared the hurdle of the pediatrician visit on Monday. Also, despite growing nearly two inches and gaining ten pounds, he has dropped down on the growth curve! But he checked out well, so I am cautiously optimistic for his neuro appointment on Friday. And I also registered the four of us to do the Chiari walk across America on September 26 in Long Branch.

No comments: