Tuesday, August 25, 2009

in the thick of things

My mind is a hazy fog this week. I am still unsure if I will postpone Brian's MRI although right now I am leaning towards getting it over with. It is true that it won't make a difference but I am always superstitious about specific dates and days and the 27th just sounds so ... 'off.' I always have liked to schedule these things on the 15th of the month but since that was the day we left for London, that didn't work out. I contemplate scheduling it for September 15, our anniversary and the day he had last year's done, but that's a Tuesday during school, and he'll have lots of homework. But today is the day I have set for my decision, so I'll either call them back and preregister for tomorrow, or I'll call and reschedule for the 15th of September. Too many things to think about!

But I had Megan at the doctor this morning. According to them, she hasn't grown AT ALL in the past year. =:-O I thought she had gotten a lot taller, but maybe not. ?? Her shoe size hasn't changed in about five years, it seems. She did gain a fair amount of weight, but is in the 50th percentiles for both height and weight. When I mentioned in the car that she now weighs almost as much as I do, she responded, "see, I told you I was going to weigh a lot." Gasp! Oh, and she is only 3/4 of an inch taller than Brian, to his great delight.

Oh, and I did find out that I have to have that root canal on my bad tooth, but that wasn't a real surprise. I'm almost to the point where I'll do it willingly if it means I can bite on that side of my mouth again, without pain. I feel like the dentist is always trying to get extra money. He comes in and checks the teeth, then says one or the other has decay or a crack. This time, because I had mentioned a specific tooth, he didn't do this, he only looked at that one tooth, and then he let me go. But I'll call them and schedule in a little while for this torment. They claim to have this great new technology that delivers the anesthetic directly into the tooth, controlled by computer. They claim it's painless anethesia. I don't really mind the pain of the shots, I just don't want to experience the racing heart that I had a few years ago when they hit me in the vessel with epinephrine. I thought I was dying, and they had abandoned me in the room alone.

So what remains are the MRI and the blood tests. Megan starts her driving lessons on Thursday, and by Monday she should have her permit in hand, and will surely drive us all crazy (pun intended) for the remainder of her 17th year, when she'll be able to get her real license, and drive alone. She has the hospital volunteering this afternoon and then a couple of her friends are coming over, who she hasn't seen in a while. She's babysitting two mornings this week for the two boys next door.

In other news, Wilbur and Rusty have deveoped a bizarre friendship which transcends the laws of animalkind, at least for Wilbur. Rusty could get away, I imagine, but he doesn't usually try very hard. Poor Wilbur, his best friend is a cat. Molly really cannot trouble herself to entertain him. He's just too energetic and bratty for her liking. But now I must get back to the more mundane: the laundry, the dishes, and some grocery shopping. I was kept back from things by a couple of migraines, after eating a small piece of Cadbury's chocolate while being severely jetlagged.

No comments: