Saturday, August 1, 2009

home sweet home

We are back! It was a successful meet for the team, and for Megan. She swam all personal best long course times, and she moved up in the seedings in almost all of her events (can't really tell with the ones where she was seeded in yard times, the 100 and 800). Effectively, she took off one second for every 100 meters she swam. The coach was happy. And this time, for the first time since she's been a national swimmer, and even years before, the team had some girls in the top 16 at finals! Her friend Lisa made one individual and the 200 free relay team made it last night.

My visit was very nice, staying with my cousin and her husband, two kids, and bassett hound, who had quite the puppy dog eyes and knew how to use them. I spent three nights there, and then on the last day, got permission from the coach to get Megan and bring her back to the house so she could play with the kids for a couple of hours. This meant that I had to delay my departure by several hours (I would have left right at 1, but instead had to hang around till 5:30) which probably cost me time in traffic (Maryland was pretty bad) but saved me time in the thunderstorms. I barely hit any precipitation at all, the little I did encounter was on the east/west interstate, where it got a little misty at times as I got closer to the coast.

Brian had two friends over when I got here, the only socialization he had all week except for the swim meet Tuesday and the banquet Wednesday, because his plans all fell apart for one reason or another. I also needed him to be close to home to take care of Wilbur, which he did do, although Wilbur has had a few accidents over the week and through to this morning. I imagine he will backslide even more when he's boarded, so I won't start to lay down the law until we get back from London.

Megan got home around 1:30 in the morning. The swimmers all had to stay for finals, then they came home on their bus. Kevin went and picked her up at the Y, and she was all chatty and giddy when she got home because she had a fun meet and did well. Now she has several weeks off from swimming! This is the time of the year that she never knows what to do with - although Monday she is back to the school, then to Cape May, then back to the hospital. The school program ends on Friday but she can continue at the hospital through the end of the month. She also has to catch up on her summer work.

In other news, I arrived home to a whole packet explaining this and that about Brian's school year, cost of textbooks, bus pass (??I didn't think he was eligible!), and a whole bunch of propaganda that has to be pored through. The Doll was very good with him this week, taking him twice to lunch and checking up on him. The throat issue seems a whole lot better, he felt the feeling twice: once in a race when he dove in, and the next time when he was toppled by a wave. He said that when this happened, he thought of my saying that the feeling might be anxiety, and he calmed himself, and it went away. But he has been eating without issue, as far as we can tell. So the next two and a half days will be spent getting ready for the trip to Cape May. I did enough laundry that I don't have to worry if I can't get more done, but that will leave me with piles when we return.

Oh, also, E is set to arrive in town tonight. She sent me a brief email a week or so ago but I don't think we are really included in her plans other than to pick up her things. I'm still irritated at how she left everything sort of all over the place so I just can't wait for her to get these boxes out of the house. She had asked me to weigh them for her, but that's a major pain as I stuffed them in the closet and one box doesn't even fit everything, or close, and the suitcase is in the basement to get it out of the way. Suffice it to say: it is heavy.

No comments: