Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Migraine Menace

So I was off today. Kevin, always sure that I am just lying there waiting to be awakened by some shocking statement that I am not expecting, came in and announced that two of the girls on the Y team made National times at their high school tournament meet last night. This rattled me, not only because I wasn't even thinking about national times OR expecting either of them to do it (although had I thought about it, I would have known it was quite possible), but because I know that this will increase the pressure and the stress that Megan feels going into the state meet, in a little over two weeks.

Then, to top it off, he didn't tell her. So when we talked about the times, she asked if that was a best time, and I said - well yes! She didn't have a national time before. At which point, Kevin says, "oh great. She didn't know."

Which, of course, draws more attention to the fact that there is pressure, or why wouldn't he just have told her? It's not like it won't be all over the media wires and the pool by sunrise anyway; better that she should know already than to walk in and find out at the pool.

But, that is that. So, as I cruised through my morning websites, all of a sudden I got a blind spot. I blinked. It went away. It came back. I blinked again. It got bigger. Damn!! This is the first 'aura' I have had since September! And that one represented the end of the three month long cycle. And there went my day off. I spent the day in bed, watching the History Channel. Now I am up and have showered, but must go dry my hair. I have to work all day tomorrow, and hope that this will be completely over by then. I still feel spacey.

I have to wonder what brings on all of these attacks, and this time, there is no food culprit, or lack of sleep. I've been feeling little hints of one coming on, like flashes of light here and there, or yesterday my mouth felt cold while I was drinking hot coffee. But what is is that sends me over the edge? Perhaps, this time, again, it was Brian.

Last night the school tensions came to a head again. I sat down to help him with science, he gave me nasty attitude, I yelled at him. He cried, he went up to his room and slammed the door so hard that it went to the OTHER side of the door jamb. Kevin followed him and yelled and slammed things around. Brian hyperventilated. Kevin knocked my vacuum down the stairs. I gave Brian a paper bag. Kevin left the house. Brian sat down with me and studied science.

I just don't know why it has to happen like that. We want to help him, and he doesn't want to be bothered. I guess we should just be glad that Megan never put us through this with school. It's very difficult at the middle school level, because I don't even know what the work is that they're grading. Half the time it doesn't make it home; whether it's in the locker, or if it's in the classroom; I just don't know. And then I have to wonder if his 504 plan is being followed. I feel like I need some more help in this situation, and I'm just not getting it.

That school is the biggest joke, with their Mr. Rogers principal and his Mickey Mouse cheering section. All they do is tell you how great their teachers are, how wonderful the student body is, and how everyone just has the best time at that school. Sure, that's probably true in some cases. But if you don't fit the mold they're trying to present, they don't even want to know about it. Certainly, there are exceptions, but if I hear one more time from a teacher how they have so may students that they can't do this, or remember that, for my child, I am really going to scream. And I still want to know why Brian came back from the dance with his jacket smelling like smoke.

But, at least I didn't have to work today.

No comments: