Friday, March 14, 2008

Emerging from the Shadows

Well, it's been a while!!! Things just really picked up, and I found myself working every day in one way or another. What was supposed to be a one day assignment turned into four, and that went into another full week. I had to actually take off a day to leave for Y States. Then I was switched to a different assignment for this week, which I had already agreed to do. Now all assignments have ended, and my calendar is clear for the next week. The week after that is spring break, and the week after that we go to ...

Nationals!!! That's right, she got her time! We drove out to PA on Thursday night, checked into the hotel, and went to bed. The next morning, the 200 free was the first event. Megan was in one of the later heats, and with circle-seeding, she didn't get to race her best competition in the prelims. She beat her time by half a second, but needed another full second. Her coach scratched her out of the 1000 for that day, as well as out of a 100 backstroke swim-off for first alternate, and I brought her back to the hotel to sleep.

That night at finals, she was seeded first, and was next to the top-seed from prelims, so we knew this would be the make-or-break race. It was so exciting! Megan was ahead for most of the race, and at the end the other girl kicked it up. Megan tried to hang on, and they were so close that you couldn't even tell which had touched first. I looked up at the scoreboard and saw the exact same place and time for both girls! They tied for first, and qualified for nationals with nearly half a second to spare!

And it was a good thing, too, because she failed to qualify in the 500, the one they all thought she would get. I wasn't surprised, though, as she had no real competition in that race. Her time was the top time by nine seconds. She ended up shaving milliseconds off her time at finals, after a bad swim at prelims due to nausea. The next place time was five or six seconds slower, she had no push at all in that race. She is going Sunday to swim it again at Junior Olympics, where she has the seventh seed position. Hopefully that will go better, but, no matter really. You only need one event to go to Florida!

So that's where we're headed in two weeks. Megan flies with the team Friday night, and Kevin will go down on Saturday. Brian and I will follow on Monday night, so that he can go to school and I will have more time to get things straightened out with the house and pets, and less time to have to worry about them being pet-sat. Her event will be on Wednesday, but they allow them to swim three time trials in four days, and she will be in a relay or two as well.

In other news, Brian's progress report showed indications of slight improvement. Two teachers said that he had missing assignments but I'm afraid that fails to rattle me anymore; if anything it gives me just a headache. I don't really want to hear it anymore. Most of the time, he has done the work, and he loses it. That's the best part. I almost want to put it into his 504 plan that he is allowed to forget homework, but that seems like it would defeat the purpose of homework in the first place.

Otherwise, I am just glad to emerge from the shadows that have been my substituting life for these past few weeks. I'm not used to having NO time to procrastinate, and no time to get anything done. I have decided to use this afternoon to do the former, and tomorrow I will try to be productive.

No comments: