Sunday, February 3, 2008

Stupid Bowl Sunday

So, here it is. The Giants are in the Stupid Bowl. Mass hysteria prevails. Everyone is on the bandwagon. If the Giants win, there will be a tickertape parade down the Canyon of Heroes on - what - Super Tuesday?!? That ought to be interesting. As luck would have it, Tuesday is a school holiday. Maybe we can take the ferry over and watch them throw paper out of the windows. I saw them do it for Nelson Mandela once. That was cool. I don't think anyone even knew it was going to happen, and suddenly, there he was.

I woke up Tuesday morning thinking I had no work for the week. At just before 7am, the phone rang. One of the teachers was sick. I went in for her, and ended up going back again the next day. I never thought they would call me again, but they did, the next day. A second grade teacher was sick and had requested me, I guess because I so meticulously cleaned out her science kits when I had some down time as a floating sub. So, exhausted, I came home that day and went straight to Megan's rescheduled swim meet, starting at 8pm. During that meet, I got another call! I worked four days in a row. The life of a sub. I will enjoy the paycheck.

Megan had her big meet against the 200/500 free champ from the other county. The girl swam different events! We will have to wait until the conference champs next weekend for that race. Megan had an undefeated season, but she had two races in which she had to actually fight for the win. (not counting the two she won at counties, obviously the best races of the whole season so far). Yesterday she had to go swim the 1000 free. That's so grueling. I know she can make the National time in that, but I hope she doesn't. To have to go down there and swim that would just take all the fun out of the whole trip.

Meanwhile, Brian is going to play on a different travel baseball team this year. That should open up a whole new spectrum of challenges for me. With all of Megan's swimming, I am running around all the time. Now I will also have to worry about where he is going to be. I think this team even goes to Cooperstown for a tournament!

And so begins the month of February. I really do hate football, but I can't wait to see if the Giants have a chance.

No comments: