Wednesday, December 7, 2011

the weather outside is frightful ... but warm!

So - global warming? I got an email from some petition group with whom I somehow have become affiliated, announcing their success at getting a documentary on global warming to include its last disturbing episode for broadcast.  This episode will allegedly reveal the speed with which the polar caps will be completely gone, and it's soon, according to my email.  That's not good...but I couldn't help thinking about it as I drove around in 62 degree rain in December in New Jersey.  Many years ago, this would have been a snowstorm. Although, apparently it will be, for our north and west inhabitants. They always get all the fun stuff.

Anyway, I'm sitting around here waiting for B's school to end so I can go pick him up and HE won't melt.  I bought him a new pair of really expensive weather resistant shoes so that he can walk through the wet and snowy grass all winter, just in case I find a job.  But they dug a hole in his ankle so he went back to wearing his summer Sperrys, and now they're just all water stained and lop-eared. So while I'm home and can go to get him, I will oblige. Then I have to go get cash so he can join the Spanish Club on their visit to the Mexican restaurant in the next town. I guess I'll bake some chicken breasts and eat them alone! Kevin is flying back from Houston, but I expect the airport delays to at least continue, if not worsen, for the night.

My job search is picking up some steam, albeit mainly from agencies. My latest quandary is one who is dangling a temp job in front of me. It's full time and starting yesterday. The hourly rate is $1 more than I made at my last job, and the office is probably five miles from home. It's a well-established organization, and I happen to be acquainted with its CEO. In other words, quite possibly a job I'd be a fool to turn down. But should I take it? It's a two month assignment, and it's only temporary. They have not even gone to the level of committing to 'temp to hire.' Plus, why is it not snatched up? What is wrong with it?

My main concern is that the job will in fact end in two months, and will I be able to continue with my claim? I know that at some point the temp agency will become my "employer" and they may be able to fight benefits. But perhaps that doesn't happen until after the original six months are up. I'd be getting much more than I do now on the unemployment benefit, but I run the risk of losing that benefit; which should last me through the end of April if I don't find something before then.

What's that you say? "Call the unemployment office?" Hahahaha! Yes, that would be a good idea. Too bad the phone goes to dead air when I dial the number, and when I try an alternate, it just rings and rings and rings. I think there are just so many unemployed people in NJ that the state can't hire enough people to help us all. How's that for irony?  But on a positive note, I did get some good critiques from the counselor I met with yesterday as part of the workshop I'm in, and that allowed me to shrink my resume down to one page.

I also did hear back from my former boss's contact, he responded that he still is not in a position to hire and still is unsure about the whole situation.  It may be best to move ahead with the bird-in-hand, although I'd hoped not to reach the level of desperation of taking temporary assignments until after the holidays.  Certainly I wouldn't take one unless I thought it had long-term potential.

And in other news, M will be home in two weeks and two days! I am anxious for her first semester grades, and beginning to worry about next semester, when she has to miss several days of school for meets.  B has shown the effects of having too many days off from school around Thanksgiving by stumbling in a few classes, and he also brought home his PSAT scores which were thankfully better than last year's but still have room for improvement. So the next project is to find him a review course and possibly register for the January SAT to get a true baseline score. And then comes the college search! Better hope a job shows up in time for that!

No comments: