Monday, December 5, 2011

foggy outlook

The news says there is a dense fog warning today and they mean it! It looks like a scene from a science fiction movie out there! They moved the elementary school bus stop to the corner just outside our window, so every morning there gathers a small convention of cars and small people. Today they are just stick figures milling about in the haze. I can't tell the difference between the trees and the people! The sight is eliciting growl-woofs from Wilbur and drawing stares from Abby. At least she has something to look at.

I spent the entire weekend helping out at a puppy adoption event. It was very fun; much more fun than a day of actual WORK. And five of seven puppies found homes over the two days. They were all from the same litter, and very cute. The two who did not find homes were a little older and although they probably didn't have a single strand of pit bull DNA in their makeup, they did resemble pit mixes, which most families who come in to a puppy adoption event are not really going to favor. So, they are back to the shelter where they will surely appeal to someone and find homes within the next couple of weeks.

Friday was an odd day with the job search - I had applied for a job online but then also written to the agency (who tends to blow me off for long periods of time on occasion) and suddenly heard back from the her, and she told me about the same job. But because I have already sent my resume, she doesn't want to (says she can't, but what she means is that she won't be able to get paid). This is unfortunate because she tested my skills two years ago and can vouch for my strengths. So, I can probably scratch that off my list. But I guess it's OK because I passed the company yesterday morning (Sunday) and there were about 10-12 cars in the parking lot. The salary posted was quite high; and while I'd love to earn that much, I'm sure it doesn't come without a certain degree of bloodshed.

But she did have another position, slightly north of here, and so I told her yes, that I would be interested, and I am waiting to hear from her. Then I got a call from another agency, a woman who called me when she saw my resume online, to see if I would want to have one of her temp jobs. One did appeal to me, as it's at a local hospital and only for four weeks. So I could get some experience, make a little extra cash, and hopefully get a foot in the door. I'm finding it's nearly impossible to break into the more desirable companies if you don't know someone. In fact, even if you do. Still no word from my contact who said he might have something in a month or two. Oh, and no call on the phone interview job I blew. Not a surprise. I knew I had blown it halfway through the call, but didn't really feel too heartbroken, aside from the obvious ego-assault.

Anyway, for now, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. It's been nice to have some time off and at least I have a little income. Tomorrow I have another meeting with the unemployment office, where they will review my efforts and critique my resume. I think I have to go to one more after that. Otherwise, it's just a waiting game.  I guess I don't need to panic until May when the six months are up for my benefits.

And in other news, M is winding down her first semester. They had their last meet of the season on Saturday, and they won.  Anatomy continues to be the challenge, but I hope not at the expense of the other courses. We really get very limited information. I am just praying for a B in anatomy and B+'s or better in all the rest. She has to maintain a 3.0 average to keep the scholarship, and she has to remain in good standing in order to apply for the Masters' program in her third year.  Anatomy may be over for now, but she will be back in the second part of the course in January!

No comments: