Friday, December 30, 2011

closing out the books

The year is a wrap. Two more days and it will be 2012. I have a feeling that my days at home are winding down but that may just be a fantasy brought on by the flurry of interest I have had in my resume this last couple of weeks, and it could all fizzle out and end in my two week temp assignment actually ending in two weeks.

As far as that goes - nothing has come of the three interviews but I'm not surprised. The first and most appealing was with the office that moves extremely slowly. While I thought I was part of a second search because it had been so long since I'd been told "if you don't hear from us by next Friday you won't be hearing at all," the term 'next Friday', to them, was apparently a rough estimation  (as in, x4 what we really say.) So although she said they hoped to bring some people back for a long interview in their office, she also said it would be before January. Which means today, and I haven't heard. But this time I don't know if I should count myself out or not.  It seemed like a nice enough place to work, but the drive is one hour on a good day.

The other two interviews, both doing what I did in my last job, went OK. One is a long commute and I still have reservations about the circumstances, but the other was only part time and didn't pay even what I was making when I started the last job, still working for the temp agency. Also, he needed someone to start immediately and I won't be available until, at the earliest, the 23rd of January.

Which brings me to the latest job search news. The position I will be taking for two weeks showed up on the real job board! I always monitor this board and apply for everything that doesn't disqualify me with the posted required skills.  So just this morning, I got an email and an interview! I am most excited about this, but try not to be, because it would be incredibly awkward if I don't get picked, and will be in the office for two weeks! I am going to buy some new shoes to replace the ones Abby ate, and I am getting my hair cut today too.

And in other news, I have two little foster kitties upstairs in the bathroom. After a big mixup where B and I showed up to pick up a pair, the pair we had come for were found to be too sick to leave. Instead we got two girls, and one is terrified. The other, a one eyed cat with seemingly impaired vision in her other eye, is sweeter, but also a bit unsure. The little one hisses and panics when you try to pick her up, but we are working on it. They're living in the bathroom for now, and will probably stay until they need to go back to the shelter. There is no way the little one would be adopted with her current temperament, poor little thing. M is off on her travels to warm and exotic places, and B spent the night out at a friend's. Kevin, the lucky guy, is on vacation for the rest of the year!

No comments: