Friday, December 16, 2011

holiday hullabaloo!

M is home!! She is back!! All is well. The flight landed without incident and her bag was second off the belt. She had been upgraded somehow to first class, and was at the baggage claim before I even finished my Dunkin coffee, and before the hot chocolate I had purchased for her had cooled enough not to singe her flesh on the first sip.

It won't be a long visit, though...and we don't have much planned. She will have to swim with her old team to stay in shape for the upcoming college training trip. I am sorry she doesn't have a job that will allow her to pick up a few hours here and there while she is home. Too bad the neighbors haven't asked her to babysit during the week.

So tonight is Kevin's office party. He hasn't gone in years, because it's historically fallen on the weekend of the big USA Swimming meet for the age group swimmers. So this year, when we don't have an age group swimmer, the meet was last weekend! I took M and B out to the new Bonefish Grill in town tonight. It was quite good, but it's never cheap (especially not since B discovered a love for filet mignon). Which brings me to a tipping rant. I can order a $15 glass of wine (or two) or a $5 glass (or two). The waitress brings the drink after a 20 minute wait. I have to tip three times as much for her to carry the more expensive glass over? WHY? Is it because I'm drunker then and don't know the difference? Same for the $20 filet vs. the $13 salmon. What is the point? the Europeans have got it right. Tips are unnecessary. Pay the servers realistically and let's be done with it. Factor it into the cost of food. We'll all be happy.

Anyway, I have reason to drink. The job search is enough to drive me crazy. I enjoy the time at home, I love my dog with his three dot face (two black eyes and a black nose) and the crazy new one who gets so excited at the silliest of things. The cats mostly don't care, or you think they don't, until you notice they are all gathered in the same room when you're just sitting around.  But the thing is this: I have been rejected yet again. I do believe it's because the timing and circumstances were not right, and the truth is, I didn't want the job anyway. It was temporary, far away, and it interfered with my holidays. But the fact remains: I have been rejected yet again.

So then what happens? Another temp job dangled. I agreed to be submitted. And I didn't hear a thing! But then...I submitted a resume for an ad online in NYC and got called on it! So now I am going in for an interview for this on Wednesday. I had to lie to the job service to even be able to submit my resume. They wanted 3-5 years' experience and I have a mere 1.5 in this field. But I did make my apologies for this in the cover letter and I guess that sufficed, because while I was petting cats and gaping at the puppy line at the SPCA, I got a call.  But the Pandora's box is open again: to commute or not to commute. Indeed, it's where the money is. It's where the energy is. It's where the fun is. But the thing is, it's just not where the three dot face is.

And in other news, M completed the decorating of the Christmas tree! But true to her heritage, not a box was put away. I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! Which reminds me, I'd better go and make her bed. I had to wash the sheets to get the cat hair off of them.

No comments: