Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Update from the Unemployed

Well, I am getting a bit tired of this leisure. One can be assured that as soon as the mercury begins to climb, so will the teachers last minute calls out. Of course, I have wasted the better part of the last two weeks sitting on the couch, wanting to go out and do something, but feeling the chill just by looking out the window. I have two half days to work this week: tomorrow afternoon and Friday morning. And she called and switched me to another teacher for tomorrow, they're all out at once, so I don't know what that was all about. I don't really care, they are both interchangeable second grade classes, but I'm still baffled as to why the switch. Maybe I'll figure it out tomorrow when I work (of course, because it's going up to 50 degrees - at least we can have outdoor recess and enjoy it).

Anyway, the last week of February is upon us. E is dismayed now that she realizes her time here is drawing short. Despite the many ups and many more downs we have had throughout the year, I think we've reached a good place and will end the year on a positive note. We have a party with the other students scheduled for Saturday afternoon, so I hope that will be fun. Sometimes they can be a little uninspired, and we drive pretty far for them.

March will begin on Sunday and we will be off in a couple of weeks to Pennsylvania for the big Y meet. Brian and E won't come with us, and Megan almost wasn't able to either! A large part of their chemistry grade is based on a science fair project which is being held on Friday the 13th! Of course, that is the day with the most important events Megan will swim the entire weekend - the 200 free, where she stands to place well and get a personal best which could propel her to a better seed position in Florida, and the 1000, in which she has failed to qualify for Nationals yet, and this is her last chance before she leaves. Also a relay for which, I believe, she is qualified to swim on the 'A' team this year.

Either of the other two days' events would have been more dispensable, but this is the most important day. This created some tension yesterday, but her teacher emailed back this morning, saying they would work something out. So that's good. I know he works as a professional referee for big league sports, so I was hoping he would have respect for the committed athlete, and he must have done.

Otherwise things are still chugging along, in the thick of the swim and school season. E is done with basketball but awaiting the start of spring track, which will be a whole new experience for her. The meets are eternal, they start early in the morning and don't end till late afternoon at times. She will definitely be busy for her last few months with us.

In other news, Kevin and Brian both passed their boating course, which, I am shocked to report, means they can both drive boats now! Well, Brian technically can't just yet, but as soon as he turns 16 he will be able to. I don't know if this needs to be renewed or what, but at 16 years of age he can exchange this card for a license, and he can drive a boat! Kevin is still intent on buying one. He thinks they can be had "for a song" nowadays. I wonder what Obama would think of that. He said we have to give up "priorities", did he not?

No comments: