Friday, February 6, 2009

February Friday

Well, I have been absent a few days. Two nights ago, I fell to a migraine after playing wii fit and then driving Brian to the orthodontist. I recovered quickly, but on my way up to bed, got another. Then the next day I worked in the morning, and drove Brian to the Y, only to get another and another later that night. And yesterday morning, I woke up to another! So I stayed lying around all day yesterday, taking advil and drinking coke and gulping sudafed. I made it through the night, but I still feel like I'm fighting one off, so I'm trying not to look at computer screens. I'm also in the middle of reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, and I can't really read it now because of issues I'm having with glare on the page. But I really want to see how it turns out!

Anyway, lots of life is going on. The girls just finished their midterms (well, except for the ones E didn't take yet because she stayed home sick on Monday) and Brian has closed out the second marking period as well. Report cards are due in a week or two, so I'm a little nervous about that! Megan knows that she got As in Spanish, Language Arts and Geometry, and she knows she got a B+ on the precalc midterm but she doesn't know her course grade for the marking period. And chemistry is always a great unknown. Apparently they had to curve it further to bring the grades from the other high school in line with where the district wanted them. That was probably a function of Megan's teacher's input on the test!

This is the weekend of the conference swim championships. Megan should be seeded first in the 200 and second in the 500, but instead, she is seeded 8th and 9th. Apparently her coach dumped the wrong time file when she sent in the entries, so Megan lost her position. At least in the 200, she'll race in the correct heat, but in the 500 she has to swim the race alone, and then sit and watch as the next heat goes off without her. I guess chalk this one up to 'it's all in fun' ... fortunately she isn't going for records or anything like that ... this will give her a chance to show everyone what she can do under adversity, if she wants to! Still, it's very frustrating. She was going in to see the coach this morning, but I doubt there's anything that can be done two days before the meet. It isn't just Megan's times, although she fell the farthest of them all.

So that is the greatest controversy of the week. In other news, Brian continues his slow recovery from The Great Sick. He looks like a fish out of water when he goes to swim practice, like he can barely move his arms and legs independently, let alone all at the same time. He swims this way for the entire hour. I can't bear to watch, but I also can't bring myself to leave and pretend it isn't happening. In two weeks he will be done with practice, so we have to suffer through it. I keep saying to myself how good this is for him physically. Kevin stayed home today because our dishwasher broke, and then the back door key broke off in the lock, meaning we can't open the door at all from the garage. That was my last key, so now the lock must be changed. Kevin is leaving Monday for Sweden, and he also wanted to get the oil changed in his truck. I guess having him home for four straight days will probably help me not to feel so stressed that he is going to be gone for four afterwards!

No comments: