Friday, February 20, 2009

Forsaken

And the entire week has passed with me workless. The trouble is, it creates the feeling that I am a Lady of Leisure, and then when I do have to work, it becomes a hardship! Considering that my annual pay of $7000 did little more than boost us up to a higher income bracket, these days of non-employment may seem financially insignificant. But to an independent bill-payer such as myself, that's $7000 for which I didn't have to hear "the AMEX bill is $XXX this month" or "did you make a withdrawal for $XXX" or my favorite: "bring" (kevin's cell) followed by, "oh, that was a text from AMEX letting me know about the activity on the card."

So with all of this week behind me, I will have to actively seek work for next. I have to have Monday off for my mammogram (the last of the medical hurdles which we have to clear, after I survived the dermatologist, the dentist, the neurologist, and finally the call from the dermatologist that all was benign with Megan's errant mole) but beyond that I am free. Except I think swim team may cause me some troubles with Tuesday and Thursday, which might hurt me with the caller. She likes wide open schedules, apparently. Every time I try to tell her this or that, I don't get a call at all.

This weekend Megan has a long and grueling meet up at Seton Hall, so we'll be there for most of tomorrow, and a good part of Sunday. She may make finals, because they bring back the top 24, but I don't think she has to go back for them. Especially tomorrow, she is swimming two 200's and then the 1000, and finals would be exhausting. Thankfully there are no finals for the 1000, they swim it as a timed finals.

Report cards finally did arrive, and Megan did pretty well although she dropped to a B in history and a B+ in precalc. These are all honors classes, and she did have the flu and a lot of swimming this marking period. But still, in all but chemistry, she should be able to bring them up to A's. Chemistry would be nice, but I find the man to border on insane, so I think a B+ is pretty good in there. E did well also, only one non-A grade, and that was also in the same chemistry class. But she has different teachers and not even the same classes, so the two can't be compared fairly, except for the chemistry grade. Thankfully. They both continue to get college propaganda by the boatload. Perhaps if the colleges didn't waste so much money on these mailers, they wouldn't have to scramble to make money by soliciting every student in the country who took the PSATs!

In other news, the high winds have returned. Hopefully we can hold onto our garbage cans and roofing tiles and tree branches. After this perhaps the weather will begin to turn? I know that yesterday at the neurologist I was thinking that in other years, we've been there in snowstorms, and we always go around this time of year. It seems late in the season, but really there is a good month remaining! And then we will go to Florida :-) Otherwise not much is new. Brian is about to pick up guitar lessons, he was going to start next week but I realized that I have to change that because he has a church obligation to help out at a dinner that raises money for the trip to England, on which he still says he doesn't want to go. So we will see, I guess I can just bump it to the following week. And now that my mind is free of medical worries until I have to face the water balloon squasher on Monday, I am off to the showers.

No comments: