Thursday, November 29, 2007

K-Cups to go

Amidst much fanfare and anticipation, I finally bought the Keurig coffee single cup coffee maker. At the risk of appearing to be wannabes next to my sister's fancy coffee and espresso at the touch system, the ease and appeal of one cup at a time were too much to resist. No clean up? You know that is for me.

So, $149 with $30 instant rebate; three packs of K-cups at $9.99 apiece, less $5 for the purchase, and Brian and I were set to install the machine. As we followed the directions, he could barely contain his glee. Brian can hardly stand surprising people; in his eloquence, he describes the feeling: "I always get really happy when we do things like this" as he bounces his shoulders around.

We prime the machine. We brew the first cup of water. Then we brewed some coffee. What's this? With milk added, it's the color of sand on the beach! Maybe I misjudged the mug size, put in too much milk.

We try the hot cocoa. Brian says it's "ok". The happy feeling is fading. I smell it, and it reminds me of the hot chocolate I used to get at Penn Center Rink when we'd go ice skating in the winter.

But, there it is, in the kitchen, and I have to admit, it is beautiful, and easy to use. What a concept! Kevin is happy. But then he makes coffee. Weak again. He normally fills a travel mug. This morning he put it in the travel mug and it was filled to 1/3 or 1/2 of the capacity. At least it will not keep him up on the bus ride. I guess he could do a double shot, that makes it about the same price as a cup of Starbucks.

I remember my post college days. I'd brew the coffee in a little percolator and drink half. The next morning, I'd pour the remainder into a small saucepan and heat it on the stove. That was good coffee.

My strategy for tomorrow: coffee in a tea cup.

No comments: