Tuesday, November 1, 2011

just me and the other 6,999,999,999 people applying for those jobs

So I am officially on the unemployment line now. Thank goodness they do it all electronically these days, but even that has been a pain and I've been amazed at the amount of correspondence they sent. Maybe they could save some of that tax money if they would wait and send one comprehensive notice. First they told me they had received my claim, then they sent me the amount I would get. The next day I got a letter telling me that I had to have a fact-finding interview because I "may be receiving wages" after my last day of work (I'm not so I got that canceled at least). Then they sent me a hard copy of a handbook which I had been linked to and told "you will not receive this by mail so bookmark it."  And yesterday I received a prepaid debit card on which I will be paid unless I sign up for direct deposit (which I was pretty sure I had done).

Anyway, tomorrow is the first day for me to certify my benefits.  I'll see what happens after that.

As for the job search, it's bleak. I send out about ten or more resumes a week, mostly online either through one of the job sites or directly on an employer's website. I have filled in so many that I had to start a spreadsheet to track them, and still I don't even get a call. I have a meeting with a contact from my former boss next week, and I also signed up for a job fair which I found about via email from the state.  I had an interview last week but although I felt I had a good rapport with the woman who interviewed me, I carried out the fear that I don't have the background they're looking for. That's the problem today.  Any one person might be perfectly capable of performing these jobs and performing them well. But the odds are that at least one of the other 6,999,999,999 people will have done *exactly* what they want, and will know the exact computer software and office procedures.

So I sit at home and wait for something to happen.

It's very inefficient, too, this having nothing to do. The dogs follow me around every time I stand up, expecting great fun to materialize with each move I make. So we go for a walk and they get barked at, they bark at me when I stop to talk to neighbors, dogs chase us, one chases cars, the other chases squirrels, and I vow to never walk them again! I think we'll try the dog park this afternoon.

Otherwise, even the house cleaning proves elusive. I should probably just buckle down and do it but with such a vast expanse of TIME, what is the hurry? Not like it's going anywhere and maybe I'll need something to do tomorrow!  At least this week I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday. But it's 45 minutes away and it's at 8am, because I made it nice and early so I wouldn't be very late for work.

And in other news, B's marking period is winding down and he is doing OK. At least he is showing a great interest in the college search and his top choices are out of his current range of GPA and PSAT scores. Of course, we will get the new PSAT scores next month and that will put him on a track for the SATs, which I guess he will take in March, if not before.  He's also doing a law explorer program and volunteering at the nursing home, in addition to a couple of clubs at school. He won't swim this year, but I  think that is the right choice. The commitment of time and money just don't justify the return that he receives, because he'd have to give up everything else that I just mentioned.

M should be coming into midterms but I have stopped asking after the jolt of her anatomy immersion shock (the bad first test, which was rectified by the second but I figured it stresses us both more if I keep asking) so we won't know how she has done until grades are posted somewhere, whenever that is.  We will see her this weekend, probably briefly and from afar, when she swims in their meet in Virginia. Then in two weeks we go back to Boston, and after that, Thanksgiving! Time flies. I should probably put my time at home to better use.

No comments: