Thursday, November 10, 2011

hope through the fog

What a miserable morning! The fog was so thick you couldn't see to the end of the block.  A perfect day for a two-fer-one filling endured with severely chapped and unhealing lips! My lips have been so sore and dry and burning that I almost canceled this awful appointment, but in the end I felt like they would never heal anyway, so might as well just get it over with. Also, I have an appointment with the dermatologist tomorrow (the last of my scheduled torture sessions) so if there's a recurrence, maybe he can help me.

But the fog has lifted and the sun is shining, whether or not this is a metaphor for my near future I will soon see.  I spent the better part of the morning just waiting to get feeling back in my lip, nose and eye but also enjoying the lack of the burning sensation! That has returned, unfortunately, but the good news is so has the rest of my face.  Now if only I were motivated to do anything.

Yesterday was not a good day. I know why. It's because when I was driving to the Y in the morning, I was just driving along when a work van suddenly drifted out of its parking spot right into my path! I was so mad! So of course, I cursed him: "I hope you have a terrible day!" I hollered at the back of his truck, through the ladders and ropes. Punctuated with a glare when I passed him at a stop sign, I do believe that my curse came back to stick to me instead.

First, I had no energy at the Y. I have been battling a muscle pain in my hip since the summer and it flared up during the workout. The two machines that I like to use were both occupied, so I had to settle for one that faces a wall.  Then, when I reached the indoor track to do my laps, the preschool exercise class came up and pitter-pattered around while their mothers recorded the event on their iphones! None of his phased me much, because, as you're probably thinking, this is pretty much a normal day for me so far. But it didn't really end there.

As the day wore on, I received in my email TWO rejections from online job submissions.  Plans I had made to "mall walk" with a friend were foiled when B stayed at school longer than usual, and darkness fell. Not wanting him to suffer a goring at the antlers of a doe-hunting buck while walking home, I put his warm food in the microwave and waited around to pick him up. Then, while racing to get to the mall to get in a few quick laps, I came to a grinding halt in the mess of traffic, having completely forgotten that the rest of the world still goes to and comes home from work at a certain time every day.

But I got there and had a nice couple of laps and a few toothpick-servings of dueling Chinese/Japanese fast food offerings on the way.  Thinking maybe God thought I'd learned my lesson, I decided it would probably be best just to keep to myself.  Incidentally, I never did hear back from that interview a few weeks ago. Or so I thought. Kevin got home from work and announced a letter from them! It must have been sitting there since the day before, when I had my hands full and dragged up the empty garbage cans, wrapping the small mail in the large and then just setting it down amidst the mess, never to be given a second thought. Until the twist of the knife. Of course, it said, "NO JOB FOR YOU!" So, after that I went to bed.

And in other news, today will be the day that B finds out if he has secured a role on the mock trial team. I hope that he does, because two years ago he did not, he was told he was a "juror" and I had to drive him back and forth to the courthouse for the "trial" and all he did was sit there and listen. The "jurors" don't do anything because the judge decides the case; and he is an actual lawyer who volunteers to sit as judge.  Then last year he wasn't able to make it that far because he decided to do swim team and had to start going to practices. This year, he isn't doing swimming and he's been to every meeting.  But he's also working on the stage crew and they have their final meeting preparing for the play (which starts tomorrow) so if he gets put on the jury, he said he'd just leave and go to where he's really needed. So, fingers are crossed. More on that later!

Oh! And why did I forget? The meeting with the 'friend' of my former employer actually went quite well. I am, I have to admit, cautiously optimistic. But he's a pretty busy dude, so I hope that when the time comes, he remembers that he said he would help me. I'll follow up with pestering emails. So that's that.

No comments: