Friday, January 28, 2011

let it (not) snow!!!

Well another foot fell on us yesterday. The good thing is that they plowed our neighborhood early and it's now clearer than it has been since the first snowfall at Christmas. The bad thing is that they neglected some main routes around town. Figures this would happen the first year that I have to worry about a teen driver. At least she is driving the Explorer. I am terrified in my little tiny car. Yesterday when I drove to work, two cars spun out and crashed in front of me on the parkway. I had taken the parkway only because I thought it would be the only road plowed! The rest were horrendous!

So Pegleg has her leg back! It looks pretty good, too. Of course she can't walk on it, but she will learn. She does have some irritation from being in the cast for so long, some pink pimples and little sores from the rubbing of the splint rods, but that should heal quickly now. She was licking at it but now she has curled herself into a nice little ball and she is resting comfortably.

As for Wilbur, his lump was tapped and the vet felt that what he got out was joint fluid. (It is on his 'wrist'). So we should have results of that back early next week. I am still worried, but the xray did show no bone involvement so let's just hope it was some sort of acute injury that will heal. It's gone down a lot since being tapped, but I guess it might fill back up. It did seem larger two days ago and smaller again yesterday, so it may be inflammation? Maybe? (What do I know..?)

And B is back to school, second semester in full swing. He already has a 50 in English, I guess he did poorly on his only homework, whatever it was that he did while he was home with the sickness. He seemed recovered from that, and he went to swim practice tonight, the first time in two weeks and he has a meet in the wee hours of morning. This may be the end of his high school season, as they only take the fastest to the state tournament meets, which are basically all that remain. There is one other, but it's also important.

M remains in the top five on the performance lists, but that is in jeopardy this weekend when there are several really fast meets around the state. She is now third in the state in both of her events; but I know there are girls who go faster but may not have been challenged yet. Still, it is exciting, and she has the conference meet next Sunday, her last meet of her high school career, since her high school coach doesn't let them go to the state meet. Too bad, it would be fun to go just once. But they have their Y State meet the following weekend and he is getting them ready for Nationals, so we have to do whatever he says. And the meet is a trek to a pool two hours away, and you have to go back the next day if you qualify for finals.

Speaking of Nationals, the bleachers at the pool have been condemned! A piece of them fell into a room below! So I guess it is better to know this now rather than to be on that piece that falls but now we don't know what their solution will be. A small part was closed even last year but we managed. There is no way there is going to be enough seating. Of course, Kevin has covered himself by volunteering to work the entire week, as an official on deck. I guess B and I will be doing a lot of sightseeing!

And in other news, will it ever stop snowing? I heard on the radio today that people are becoming depressed because of all the snow. I can believe it! Although sometimes when I drive down a quiet country road and just see all the untouched white, I do find it very peaceful. I also pass a lot of horse farms, and today I saw some black horses out in the snow, and their contrast to the white was striking. Of course, they are also fun to watch when they romp around in the fields of green!

No comments: