Saturday, June 26, 2010

weekly review

So here I am a day early, who knows - maybe I will manage a double update this weekend! Much has gone on, I hope I can remember it all. First, B finished his whole week in tennis camp. He's pretty low energy in general so it about wiped him out. Then I took him for new glasses because I found out that he hasn't had any he will wear for a while. He's just been keeping his contacts in until it's time to go to bed, then he takes them out and goes to sleep because he can't see anything anyway.

As for M, she is FINALLY done with school. All she knows is that she got a B on the physics final and a B+ for the class for the marking period. I don't know when report cards will come with the rest of the info. But that was a pretty good grade for that class. Her one friend got a 95 on the final, the highest grade ever for the final with this teacher.

Today she started her rookie training at the beach. Of course, as luck would have it, we had our semi-annual skin review for her face at the dermatologist. She also has ringworm (ew) but that's going away. He gave her something stronger than what I had, even though it did look a lot better than it had. He says this new one is better. But he gave the whole speech about sun protection and skin damage even with sunblock. I told her maybe next summer she can look into a study-abroad program for a few weeks so she can get a practical application for the Spanish she's been studying and she won't have to spend 400 hours in direct sunlight.

She got her SAT2 scores back and she scored quite well on the Spanish test, for a non-native speaker, I think. She did even better on the US History test. Now I'm anxious for her AP scores, which will be out during July. She's also waiting to see if she got a position with the National Honor Society (she is going to be secretary of the Spanish Honor Society) and also she's awaiting the ACT scores. And July 1 is the first date that college coaches can make actual contact with her, so that will be an interesting day - will she get lots of calls, or none?? Much to anticipate this month.

But, oh. The biggest milestone is B's trip, which we booked using Kevin's miles. He is going to fly out to San Diego in July, leaving on a Sunday morning and returning on a Friday night.I can't believe that I am going to put him on a plane alone for six hours! But it's a great opportunity for him to have an experience that's all his own. He has really never been able to do that. I'm trying to find ways to help him build his confidence.

And in other news, Molly is still on her "loading" dose of the Cushing's medicine. She takes it twice a day and once a day I give her prednisone. He had said to do the latter twice, but it seemed to be making her worse. I'd like to not give it at all but the danger is that the dogs can crash. This way, she's pretty mellow and doesn't pant a lot during the day, but at night after the prednisone, she starts the whole panting thing again. And her limbs seems a lot weaker too, but I don't think that has anything to do with this medicine. And the one thing she is enjoys is that the medication is fat-soluble, so I have been giving it to her with hamburger. Wilbur enjoys that, too.

As for Kevin, he is trying to fix cars today. He replaced the mirror on my Explorer and only lost 1/3 of the screws that hold it on. Should be OK, right? (Don't drive too close behind me). Now he has gone off to try to pick up a part to repair the blower in his truck, which lost all the speeds from 1-4 (of 5), as I discovered on Monday when I went to return the tables and chairs from the party. And I should be off to procure food. The cupboards are bare of anything with any nutritional value.

No comments: