Wednesday, November 17, 2010

windy wednesday

Yes, here we are again, just us chickens and cats and dogs. Kevin is overseas this time and we are battening down the hatch. M and B are both swimming in high school now, which makes her charming and him exhausted. His practices are half an hour away, but I was lucky to have an offer from a former elementary classmate of hers to drive B home!! I am thrilled. I will have to thank him somehow - it isn't far out of his way but it saves me hours. I saw his parents at the meeting and they said he would be able to do it. It's nice because I'm able to have dinner ready.

The job has improved, at least for now. I can't say why, maybe it's just because my boss is not bad as a person, just sometimes as a boss. Also, I took a day off last week, so that helped a lot! That was when I went to watch M sign her letter and commit herself to the next four years in Boston, for a meager pittance. Now, fingers and toes are crossed for the rest. I ran into one of those people this weekend who always say the kinds of things that scare you, she did just that.

Told me that the NCAA won't let her have any other money until they approve it, that she won't be allowed to eat or drink certain foods and beverages anymore because they are on the banned list, and that we will have to be able to show proof of everything she bought with her own money for this entire year. So I don't know. If these things are true, we could be in trouble. Also, one by one, the girls she liked on her training trip are committing to other schools, except for one, so at least there is that one! And she also got a message from a very nice girl who used to be on her team here, saying that she wants to go to that school and has already applied early action. She might swim, but she's just be a walk-on. One more month till we hear from them about the aid and honors college!

All the pets are well now, thank goodness, even though Wilbur ate Molly's 5mg prednisone the other night when I put it down for her to eat in a chunk of meat roll and she failed to comply. In swooped the hawk and that was the end of that. But the only effect was that he ate all of his breakfast the next morning without enticement.

And now it is almost time for Thanksgiving! I am shocked. I didn't even realize that the time was already at hand until I was preparing my spreadsheet at work to keep track of my hours. I have two days off, the office is closed on Friday, which is nice, although I won't get paid.

And in other news, we had some bad news last week. A friend and fellow swim parent was killed in a terrible motorcycle wreck. It's very upsetting and untimely. And today there was an article in the local paper about helmet laws and motorcycles. Too bad the helmet didn't help him. Also today the Doll called to announce an untimely death in her family. Her brother's son died as a result of some sort of heart surgery, and she needs to sign some document and fax it to the funeral home. Something to do with the cemetery plot, and there's this crazed rush to get it back, but they don't even have it yet. I'm trying to help her, but I have to work tomorrow and they want it back by 4:30!! Sigh. And she wants Kevin to take her to the funeral mass on Friday morning, which I suppose he will. That was his day of recovery from the trip. She has been estranged from this brother for years, and now wants to patch things up.

No comments: