Sunday, June 10, 2012

of blogs and creativity

Well, can it be so? Occasionally I will search the hits, to see the terms that bring viewers, few and far between, to my little blog. About three years ago, I posted a link to an article featuring B and his surgical complication. Apparently, this search has landed me #54 in Google's searches on the topic. I have recently learned that the power of Google is indeed a mighty force.  Initially, when this blog was indexed by the "bots" it had WAY more identifying information than it should have had, and more details than should have been prudent! So I revised the blog and took out some of the details, but in the cache, often the facts remain.

But what transpired was a revisitation of the past - I perused a few blogs and had a few chuckles - hard to believe that it's just been a few years and already I've forgotten that chipmunks drowned in our pool, only hours after being rescued from the jaws of the Wren (a few circa 2012 have not been so fated, although I've not been home to witness, nor have I been responsible for the release of the beast, despite her loud and repeated pleas for acquiescence). I seemed to have a great connection to specific beloved shrubs, many of which I fear I see withering in the yard this year. I attributed this to the weather, but in fact it may instead be neglect. Not so much lack of water and care as lack of caring!

So this is what my going back to work has done ... my blog is dry, and my yard no better! Seven pets now roam the halls in search of entertainment, and, not finding it, they either eat my kitchen table or pee on my bathmat! But all is well. The college bills will be paid; at least for this year.

Anyway, the point is not to bemoan my working. On the contrary, I often feel as if it's given me my self back. But it may have drained some of my creativity when it comes to my blog, and my yard, and it's certainly left my pets just a bit more lonesome. Thankfully they have had M all of these days, and B will now be with them as well.  Abby no longer has to live in the hall - the other day we had a mysterious ant invasion and Kevin, ever the savior, doused her whole hall with ant spray, so I refused to put her back there. This put a short life on M's June lie-ins, as she reported awakening to a big wet nose the second day of Abby's freedom. But the good news is that the wood furniture has remained intact.

So it is interesting that I have to watch my writing style as well. The style at work tends to be more flowery and unlike me and it took me a while to realize I didn't have to end all my letters with things like "blah blah blah blah blah," and that I could just say, "blah" as always and perhaps "blah blah." I guess it's a good sign that I'm back to myself. Although I'll have to be careful. Don't want to be too unflowery - in the yard or in the email!

And in other news, we finally got to the beach today, just in time to see M and her partner get an earful about how to handle dead-in-the-water boats (not the way they handled one, which was to allow it to nearly wash up on shore!) But it was surprisingly warm and comfortable on the beach today. It would be nice to have more time to enjoy it! I did have a good laugh when a beachgoer came up and asked them what they do when a boat loses power and starts to wash ashore. They responded, "oh, we swim it back out," as if it's just one of those instinctive lifeguard talents. (I guess the guy had been too far away when their boss came by on the beach buggy).

No comments: