Saturday, March 3, 2012

the week in review

So, this was one of those rare weeks where it feels like the planets were just properly aligned. I got the job, Kevin got a nice raise (and it's about time, he's been operating at a deficit for the past couple of years), my mammogram was clear and B's health has improved. Of course, there has to be a little cloud around every silver lining, so that would be B's grades, not much improved from a week ago; in English, actually declining.

I got the job!!! I cannot even believe it, the whole experience was like a dream. I had that feeling of stepping into the place where I belonged from the second I got out of my car for the first interview.  I carried around a certain amount of guilt regarding the other job which I had accepted, but I was always honest with the second group of people.  (Well, except I never actually admitted to having accepted the job but I'm sure it was implied; no employer waits two weeks for you to give an answer.) In all fairness (to me, none of this is fair to Job A) I wouldn't have been able to delay as long as I did if they hadn't had the ridiculous requirement of the physical, and then when I did that on a Monday, they told me to start the following Monday, which bought me the rest of the week and turned out to be exactly what I needed.

So, on my second interview with Job B, I met with the second potential boss and then the first came back in and said, "we would like to offer you the job." I was so excited! But it just got better and better. They do want me to work 9 to 5, I would have preferred earlier but that's fine, I won't complain. Then they sent me their benefits package and there are tons of vacation and sick days allocated, and that's not even counting regular holidays! (When do we work???) And they're sending me a proper offering letter which I am to sign one copy of and return ASAP! Imagine if Job A had done that, what a predicament I'd be in now.  They want me to start in two weeks so they have time to set up my space and then I have to wait for someone who orients new employees to return from vacation. So I have two more weeks of unemployment and then I'll be gainfully employed. I'm really excited, hope I can perform up to expectations and that the job goes as smoothly as the process has so far. If it were up to me, I'd work here for the rest of my working life. Maybe we can move closer one day ;-) The train ride into NY has got to be pretty efficient from there.

I felt that my handling of the backing out of my verbal acceptance was cowardly but fair enough. I called as soon as I got home, but knowing that since it was after 5, I stood a slim chance of getting the HR woman. It was before 5:15, so I thought she might still pick up, but she didn't. So I left a message and explained that I had gotten another offer which financially I could not refuse, and then sent a follow-up email to make sure she got the news.  I received no reply, but as I told a friend, I wouldn't have replied to me either. I would have slammed down the phone, cursed a few times and then started the process to make things right. Let's just hope I don't have to search for jobs ever again - that bridge has definitely been blown out of the water.

As for Kevin, they had their compensation meetings yesterday and he was quite pleased to learn that he was finally being rewarded for some of his efforts. He's been at this one and only job forever, which can work either for or against you. You never get huge leaps in salary by changing jobs for better pay, but you also have job security, especially when you've worked in every spot from the lowest to the spot where you bump your head repeatedly on the glass ceiling (that's where he is now and has been for years).  But we are very happy to be able to breathe a little more easily about tuition payments, at least for this year and next. Beyond that - well we will see. A lot depends on grades and scores, possibly even more so than our college purchasing power.

And in other news, the foster failure is almost official. I can't return those poor cats. I guess everyone was right. Lilly is still very timid and hits the ground and cringes if she has forgotten to run in time and we go to pet her. Her ears flatten back and her entire body stiffens. But she no longer hisses, and she purrs like a motorboat when food is involved; sometimes she even purrs for play. So I know she's happy, she just can't fight the panic inside. Rosie is slowly forgiving me for chasing her around the house in an attempt to box her up with Lilly (who strangely, just viewed that as another of my entrapments, like when I capture her to pet her) but she hasn't come back 100%. Eventually I will have to capture them again, as I worry about Rosie's eye and want my own vet to have a look at it. It doesn't open and it oozes black gunk that I pick out every few days (she tolerates this, thank goodness). But it isn't bothering her so I'll let her relax and settle in for a while longer. And also save up for the visit!

Their biggest excitement today will be the arrival of M. They are planning a huge reception! (I think it mostly involves running under the couch...)

No comments: